Monday, May 12, 2008

Foreign Exchange Students

Every so often, in my teaching career, I've been fortunate and blessed to have a student from a foreign country in my classes. I had a young man from Germany a few years ago in my senior physics class who knew, at the age of 17, far more than I did about physics. We had a great year wherein I probably learned more than he did... but he was an excellent teacher and a good kid. He (and this is common for these kids) maintained contact with me for several years after he went back to Germany. I haven't heard from him in a while, but I'm sure he's doing very well.

I remember a girl from Russia.. who also entered my physics class with a reputation for surliness and disrespect. Turned out that she was bored nearly to tears by her classes, and once we got past her initial reserve, she too managed to teach me more than I taught her.

Another girl from Brazil had one of the most attractive and magnetic personalities I've ever encountered. She, in one year spent in the US, managed to be elected student body president and homecoming queen during her senior year, and, as I recall, received a perfect score in my physics class.

This year I'm saying goodbye to a young man from the Ukraine. He speaks six languages, is unfailingly conscientious and accurate with his work, and again, has managed to teach me more than I've taught him. He is headed back to Europe on Wednesday. I wish him well and am completely confident that he will succeed at whatever he tries. I hope that he looks on his time here at Central High School favorably. I hope that I had some impact on his career and outlook.

Goodbye Roman. I enjoyed having you in class and getting to know you. Take great care of yourself and the best of luck to you.

Oh yeah and keep in touch!

No comments: