Thursday, January 17, 2008

Books In January

January, historically, for me has been a good month for reading. Since I started tracking by month, I've read 8 books in 2005, 11 in 2006, only 4 in 2007 (4 long ones). I'm off to a good start in 2008.

As of today I've finished:

The Black Ice by Michael Connelly; second in his Harry Bosch detective series. I am enjoying these stories a lot, even though I've come to the author a little late. According to
Fantastic Fiction, there are 13 titles in the series (the first was written in 1992), so I have loads to look forward to. This story includes one of the saddest 5-6 pages I've ever read in this type of book. A description of Harry's childhood along with his discovery of who his father is. I won't spoil it for anyone who may read this but I was literally moved to tears...unusual in a hardboiled detective type book. Connelly is very good, something I wish I had known years ago.

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin; I know I know, I call myself a reader who loves science fiction and fantasy, yet I've never read this series??? This is, of course, a very good beginning to a classic fantasy epic. I liked it a lot and have ordered the Sci-Fi channel movie from Netflix. I borrowed this book from the local public library, and will likely see if I can obtain the rest via ebay.

Books in progress include
H.M.S Surprise by Patrick O'Brian
The Sunrise Lands by S.M. Stirling
Birds of a Feather by Scott Weidensaul


No comments: