Thursday, January 17, 2008

Birds in general

I've lived for 48 years with little but a passing interest in birds. Having an interest in nature and the outdoors, birds were really nothing more than another part of the scenery, to be enjoyed...

Until I went on a birdwatching walk with Mark McKeller. Mark is an expert on birds who is also an enthusiast about the hobby of birdwatching. That first walk, we didn't see many birds, a Carolina Wren and a Sharp-shinned Hawk was about all. I didn't even have binoculars so I couldn't really tell the hawk from any other flying bird. Anyhow, I've since purchased binos, several reference books (
National Geographic is my favorite), and been on several more trips with Mark, and by myself. I took some students on a trip as an extra credit project for them. I've started a life list of birds (surely a sign of obsession if there is one).

Good places to see birds:
Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge near Mound City Missouri
Otter Slough Conservation Area near Dexter Missouri

No comments: