Thursday, May 30, 2013

Something a little different ...

in case anybody might think that I do nothing but put puzzles together all day ... here is another project that is occupying some time this summer of '13.


African Violets, genus Saintpaulia, are native to Africa of course. The genus is comprised of between 6 and 20 species, with many more commercially produced hybrids.

These two plants are offshoots of a plant that a student gave me some 8 years ago. Her grandmother had raised violets for years and was giving away her extras. I've set these plants in a shaded southern window and more or less ignored them ... and they've bloomed beautifully.

I don't know what species or variety these are ... however, the cuttings (leaves) in the bottom picture were purchased from a dealer and I hope to have some small plants by the end of the summer.
any ideas for names?

African violet starts

No comments: