Thursday, July 23, 2009

And Away We Go...

After six months or so of messing about with re-reading old favorites and slowly reading a few new books by favorite authors, I think I'm back in the groove. Of course it's just in time for back-to-school preparation (teaching TWO new classes... AP Biology which requires a ton of prep work, and Zoology). None-the-less, I hope to get my blog up and going again and start racking up some reviews and new material.

Also, it's just in time for the 2009 Gateway nominee pre-reader reviews, which I will be bringing you in early August. All in all I'm a bit pumped about some of the stuff I'm reading and getting ready to read.

So to start off: you all know I love apocalyptic stuff and I came across this sweet gem mentioned or reviewed somewhere... Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler. I picked it up B&N earlier this week and received a strange look from the lady who helped me find it on the shelf... but I'm unapologetic when it comes to AF. I also grabbed Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse ed. by John Joseph Adams (website here).

Working my way through The Coyote Road ed. by Terri Windling & Ellen Datlow, and really liking it. Some of the stories are exceptional, and even the ones I don't like I have no trouble finishing. More when I finish.

Completed books in the last 4 weeks or so:

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling; reread
Relic by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Skeleton Canyon by J.A. Jance
Divine Justice by David Baldacci
Pride Runs Deep & Sink the Shigure by R. Cameron Cooke


3 comments:

WisdomofBookmonkey said...

I just read "Dies the Fire" a few months back and was wondering if the sequesls were worth a look - any opinion?

BTW - Thanks for the comments on my blog!

clif said...

oh yes. I'm up to the 2nd book in the second series.. but then I'm a big Stirling fan.

Have you looked at Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse?

WisdomofBookmonkey said...

Nope, I haven't checked it out yet - any good?

I read Stirlings series "The Domination" which was very good but also very, VERY grim. Interesting stuff.