Sunday, August 17, 2008

Clearcutting update

After speaking with people "in the know", the plan for the creek and ~5 acres of woods is "to leave as many trees as possible while straightening the channel".

Hmph. So far four logging trucks have pulled out loaded with, what looks like to my inexpert eye, "prime timber". Wonder who's getting the cash for that timber. My bet is the city.

So much for the two owls I've seen, and the fox that I spotted that was hunting the other evening as I was walking. Oh sure, they'll be fine ... for a while. That's the way destroying habitat works. No big difference immediately, and what some people view as a messy area is cleaned up. But 5 years from now, there probably won't be any foxes or owls. People who sit inside and watch TV will never know. People like me ... who know and desperately care, will get reputations as cranks opposed to "what's best for the community".

Bleh.

No comments: