Monday, April 28, 2008

Birding in Kansas

Well not really. I had an hour or so to kill while my daughter was at softball practice, so I walked around Atchison High School's football field.... and found LOTS of birds. I added 3 to my list, one I'm pretty sure of; an Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus), pictured here, a Swamp Sparrow (60%-40% sure of the ID) and a Common Yellowthroat, a common enough wood warbler, but still I'm only abuot 25% sure of the ID. I also spotted bluebirds, tree sparrows, chipping sparrows, and of course robins, starlings, and grackels.

My life list approaches 75 birds. I hope to reach 100 and higher this summer... but I've got most of the easy ones. From here on out, it will take some real knowledge and perserverance. And being in places where birds hang out. Around high school football fields I guess.

No comments: