Monday, February 18, 2008

February, the longest short month of the year

I've always disliked February. Growing up in NW Missouri, I've learned that one thing you can count on in February is cold. And usually some snow. Sometimes lots of snow.

I like snow on Christmas morning. And, like any schoolkid, I love getting out of school for snow. Beyond that... I've never been skiing, nor had any desire to. I take my kids sledding when they ask...but always a bit reluctantly. I just don't like being cold.

Needless to say I'm ready for spring. I drafted my first fantasy baseball squad yesterday (free yahoo fantasy baseball). I'm eternally optimistic about the KC Royals (tough job in the last decade or so). Baseball is my favorite sport, both to play (although I'm relegated to old man softball now) and to watch. Having coached high school baseball... February means preparing to start practice, always with the knowledge that you probably won't get to go outside much in the first week or two (and if you do it will be cold).

Of course, good things follow the month of February. March and it's basketball madness, April and the true beginning of spring, and then May and summer.

No comments: