Friday, June 7, 2013

the Wysocki boys ...

Jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts are very familiar with the art of the Wysocki's. Oddly, Charles Wysocki is the only one of the two that gets a Wikipedia entry ... wherein it states:
Charles M. Wysocki, Jr.(November 16, 1928–July 29, 2002) was an American painter, whose works depict a stylized version of American life of yesteryear. While some of his works show horseless carriages, most depict the horse and buggy era. 
His art has been reproduced on hundreds (if not thousands ... I didn't count) of puzzles, many of which can be seen on Puzzlehistory's page devoted to his puzzles. His themes, as mentioned by Wikipedia, generally include nostalgic Americana, horse and buggy, cats, a sort of squarish symmetrical scene with vivid colors often representing a season ... i.e. a fall scene would have lots of yellow and orange, probably with pumpkins somewhere.

Here's an example; the top is from PuzzleWarehouse, the bottom from Puzzlehistory.


"Pumpkin Hollow", ©1983 AMCAL.
Again, according to Wikipedia and also from the Charles Wysocki gallery site (wherein we find a biography written by his son Matt), Charles drew inspiration from his military service. From Matt Wysocki's brief biography, we also see the ONLY reference I've been able to find of the fact that Charles apparently had a brother named Heronim (Harry?).
Charles was drafted in 1950 during the Korean War.  He should have been sent to Korea where he may have met his fate, but right before he was to be sent out, he was granted a leave of absence to visit his brother Harry who was very ill.
As puzzle workers know ... Harry (or Heronim) Wysocki ALSO painted Americana, cats, and scenes that if one didn't know better, are indistinguishable from the scenes that Charles painted. Harry doesn't get a Wikipedia entry ... even though according to HIS gallery website ... he is very well known American artist.  
His work has been exhibited in the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Museum of Science and Industry in Los Angeles, and the San Francisco de Young Museum. Numbered among his many accolades are nineteen national and local awards from print shows in New York, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Three of his prints are now in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C., as well as one painting in the United States Air Force Art Collection. He has had one-man and group shows at the Charles Hecht Gallery in Palm Springs and Tarzana, the Nelson Rockefeller Gallery in Palm Springs, the Ester Wells Gallery in Laguna Beach, the Touche Gallery in Laguna Beach, the I.A.C. Gallery in Los Angeles, the Heritage Gallery in Beverly Hills, the Dyansen Gallery in Beverly Hills, and the Conacher Gallery in San Francisco.
And, similar to Charles, he drew inspiration from his military service ... this time the Marines (or Merchant Marines depending on your source).
Shortly after the end of World War II, Harry enlisted in the Merchant Marines and sailed the high seas to exotic ports, which became subject matter for his early works.

Weird. One almost gets the impression that there may have only been ONE Wysocki painter. Here's an example of a Heronim Wysocki puzzle (with a very similar theme as the one above, and also notice that it's only signed as Wysocki ... at least as far as I can see from the photo):


Many of Heronim Wysocki's puzzles were (and are) published by Hometown Collection Puzzles who (so far as I can find) do not have a website. One of Heronim's trademarks was to place a small black cat hidden (sometimes not so hidden) in his art or puzzle.

Anyhow, I DO like a good mystery ... if anybody has more info or any links about the two brothers, I'd be very interested.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I can clear up your mystery. Harry, is the older brother of Charles. His real (Polish) name is Heronim. He attended Art Center College of Design and was followed by Charles some years later. Both were in the service (although the part about Charles getting a leave of absence to visit Harry, who was supposedly very ill, never happened). Both went on to become successful commercial artists. Charles began painting in the Americana style. Some years later he was approached to do an Americana-style ad in a special issue of Life Magazine. He was too busy and suggested they give the job to Harry. They did, and Harry painted in that style for the first time. After that, Harry was offered more Americana-style work, and Charles told him to go for it. After a while, there was some confusion about the two Wysockis painting in a similar style, so it was agreed that Harry would use his real name, Heronim, instead of Wysocki. So, if a painting is signed "Harry Wysocki", it was painted prior to this agreement. “Hometown Collection Puzzles” is a line of puzzles produced by a company called Mega Brands (they have a website). And anyone can write an entry for Wikipedia, by the way. No one has made one for Harry, but he does exist. The Americana-style paintings have been very lucrative for him, but for his own pleasure, he prefers to paint in a more impressionistic style. Hope this clears up the mystery.
Signed,
a close relative

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A HARRY WYSOCKI OIL PAINTING, I WOULD SAY IT WAS ABOUT THE COPA CABANA FOLLIES OF 1932 , SIGNED AS HARRY WYSOCKI. A VERY LARGE ONE I WOULD SAY ABOUT 20X24. AND FRAMED UNDER GLASS CAN YOU TELL ME IF IT IS OF VALUE? I MAY BE INTERESTED IN SELLING IT. MALFI409@AOL.COM

Anonymous said...

I am curious as to the well-being of Heronim. He has long been the artist for the Hometown Collection puzzles which were produced by Mega Brands, which has now been bought by Mattel in 2014. The new price list shows that Heronim is being phased put and Art Poulin will now be replaced as the artist for this series. This has left many a collector wondering about Harry. If anyone can tell me why this has come about I would truly appreciate any information. Is he no longer licensing his art? Id he still alive and well? I myself and many of his collectors would like to know. Please message me at shooterpatton@aol.com.

Sincerely,
Kim Patton
Patton Puzzle Pleasures

Anonymous said...

Dear Close Relative:
I have a watercolor painting signed by Harry Wysocki that I acquired at a yard sale 15 or 20 years ago.

It is about 17 x 20" and appears to be an original.

It is a painting of a small sailboat on a lake in wooded cove. The colors are white, pale blue, and pale green. I saw the same painting in color on the internet once but I can't find it again.

I am interesting in knowing something about this painting.

Anonymous said...

I used to buy my Hometown Puzzles from Walmart or Target and they always carried the latest issues. But the last year or more, it looks like they are putting out Hometown Puzzles (for twice the price I might add) and they are definitely painted by another artist. They lack the detail that made Hometown so special. I won't buy them. They have the same puzzles in stock over and over again in these store so I assume they aren't selling. They look like they are geared to a young puzzler rather than adults, very amateurish. So now where and how do we get the newer issues of Hometown. I've done these puzzles for a very long time. I also miss the old Milton Bradley scenic puzzles of long ago, 1000-3000 pieces. I guess a good thing only lasts a short time and we should appreciate them while we have them.

Selena S. said...

Hello - I have what appears to be a watercolor of a single long stem pink rose with large green leafs. It is 3D artwork. It is signed Harry Wysocki. I would love to find out more information about it. It is framed under glass. I have photos I can send. I might be interested in selling it. thespeaks@gmail.com

Glick said...

There is a new puzzle manufacturer making the Heronim painting puzzles. They are TCG and their puzzles use Sure-Lok which makes the puzzles easier to work. I bought three "Heronim Collection" puzzles from a local K-Mart. We just completed "Bridges of San Francisco". The puzzle shows a larger version of the painting than the Mega version.

Anonymous said...

The Heronim puzzles I have are easy to distinguish from the Charles Wysocki puzzles. Heronim's colors are brighter, and also — I don't know the artistic term — separate (that is, they don't blend where they meet. Heronim always includes a cat (http://www.harrywysockigallery.com/thecat.htm). Heronim's shapes are more square, and his Americana paintings often are set in the West and Southwest, whereas Charles' are in New England and the mideastern American state (Pennsylvania, maybe Ohio). Both are great Americana artists, and both produced paintings that make great puzzles.

Gredel H. said...

Did Charles and Harry Wysocki pain in mostly oils or acrylic?

Gredel H. said...

Sorry, paint..

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Heronim did live on the West coast. I am acquainted with a family member. Both brothers painted Americana and I have seen several of his beautiful works. Sawfly someone in Charles Wysocki's business got greedy and sued for the use of the Wysocki name. This caused a rift between the brothers during the last several years of their lives. This is why Harry's later works are simply signed "Heronim"!

Unknown said...

My girlfriend Betty Potter was married to Harry Wysocki. Dose anyone know where she is at??
Bea Williamson beatricegw9@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I have two prints by Harry bought in 1984 moon window and marina window just wondering if they have any value thanks molly

Valeri said...

Does anyone know if Franeck is Harry Wysocki? All my research is leading to some prints signed "H.Franeck.Wysocki" so I wondered if Franeck was his middle name. I have a print, I think it's called Morgan's Mill, signed simply "Franeck."

Gail said...

Beatrice Williamson, I found an obituary for Betty, who passed away in 2015:


https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanluisobispo/obituary.aspx?pid=176298994

Unknown said...

J'ai une gravure sur métal de Harry Wysocki et le titre est Moon Window gravé en Angleterre. Ou puis-je trouver de l'information sur cette gravure.

Merci

Unknown said...

Hi diana, do you happen to know anything of Harry or another Wysocki using just the name franeck on paintings?

Gil Mellis said...

I was reading an old post about the Wysocki brothers. I was particularly interested in a painting Harry did called Santa Cruz Holiday. We have the puzzle and I was trying to figure out the year that the scene depicts. With the woodie delivery truck I was guessing about 1928-1932, but I wondered if anyone knew for sure.

Marie Couture said...

I have a crazy old oil painting signed Harry Wysocki 7-26-43. I think that would make him about 16 or 17. It is of a mountain lion taking down a wild boar. It looks very amateurish. I’ve always wondered about it.